Thursday, September 22, 2011

Great idea but it lacks a little in the execution

Recently my daughter got her first passport. Embedded in the cover was an RFID chip. I looked at it for a couple of seconds and started to wonder how far away the chip could be read.

Then I vaguely remembered that I’d seen an article about this entitled Bad guys could read RFID passports at 217 feet, maybe a lot more and I just started to think this through.

Now that they’re introducing RFID chips into credit cards and mobile phones so I started thinking about the implications of this. Sure enough I managed to find this article RFID passports raise security fears where someone has come up with a device to protect your RFID ‘enhanced’ items from being skimmed the same way that the guys in this article The RFID Hacking Underground.

This is just another example of the benefits of technology being sold to the powers that be without thinking through all the implications.

No comments:

Post a Comment